McIDAS Learning Guide
[Table of Contents]
What is McIDAS?
It's the Man computer Interactive Data Access System
Overview: McIDAS is a suite of applications for analyzing and
displaying meteorological data for research and education. McIDAS has been in
use and under continual development by the University of Wisconsin-Madison Space
Science and Engineering Center (SSEC) since 1972. The software can be used with
conventional observational, satellite, and grid-point data. McIDAS-X is available
for use on five UNIX platforms and five PC platforms (currently
- Multiple data types. McIDAS may be used to analyze
the full range of meteorological data: conventional, gridded numerical forecast,
WSI radar, and satellite data.
- Access to satellite imagery. The McIDAS software
can be used to analyze any of the major satellite data sets: GOES, METEOSAT,
POES, MODIS, FY-2, etc.
- Access to NEXRAD imagery. The McIDAS software can
be used to analyze NEXRAD products.
- Standard meteorological analysis programs. The
software can perform standard meteorological analyses for conventional observation
and grid-point data.
- Fully navigated displays. All earth-depicting displays
produced by McIDAS are fully navigated; earth positioning is available for
every point on the screen.
- Multiple visualizations. Observational data can
be analyzed into grid-point data, and grid-point data can be transformed
into image visualizations.
- Multiple graphic overlays.
- Remapping of images into other coordinate projections.
- Multiple frames and windows. McIDAS has multiple
frames for image and graphic displays and multiple windows for text; the
number of frames is defined by the user and limited only by workstation resources.
- Image and graphic storage. McIDAS can store images
and graphics in internal memory for quick redisplay and for combining displays
into an animation.
- Scheduled operations. McIDAS includes a scheduler
facility that allows sites to create analyses at user-specified times.
- Tools for site-specific software development.
[Table of Contents]