McIDAS Learning Guide
[Table of Contents]
Real-time Data Access - Meteorological Diagrams
In this exercise, you will create four types of meteorological diagrams: a Skew-T
diagram, a hodograph, a vertical cross section and a meteorogram. You will also
list surface data in a tabular format.
- Erase frames 1 through 6.
- Type: ERASE F 1 6
- List all of the upper-air stations reporting a 00 UTC observation
today. The output is sorted alphabetically by state and then by ID.
- Type: STNLIST CO=US DAT=RTPTSRC/UPPERMAND
- Choose one of the stations listed. Show frame 1 and plot
a Skew-T diagram for your chosen station (in this case, 72645, which is Green
Bay, Wisconsin) at 00 UTC.
- Type: SF 1;UAPLOT 72645 00
- Run the same command, but this time activate the interactive
Follow the instructions in the command output in the text window to change the temperature or dewpoint sounding.
Notice the sounding analysis parameters change when you make the atmosphere
more or less stable.
- Type: UAPLOT 72645 00 EDIT=YES
- Show frame 2 and plot a hodograph of the same station.
- Type: SF 2;HODO 72645 00
- Show frame 3 and display a map of the upper-air stations reporting
a 00 UTC observation.
- Type: SF 3;RAOBPLOT IDN X MID 00
- Choose the two stations that are the farthest apart on the
map. Show frame 4 and display a vertical cross section of theta, wind, and
mixing ratio values from these two stations (in this case, International
Falls, Minnesota (72747) to Nashville, Tennessee (72327). The MAP=YES keyword
displays a map in the upper-right corner showing the cross section location
and stations selected.
- Type: SF 4;UACROSS 72747 72327 MAP=YES
TIME=00 PAR=THA WINDB MIX
- Show frame 5 and plot a 24-hour surface meteorogram for
The default dataset in the SFCMG command is RTPTSRC/SFCHOURLY, so the command
automatically accesses the real-time data on the remote server. You do not
need to have the data on your local machine.
- Type: SF 5;SFCMG KMCN
- List the surface hourly data for Macon, Georgia for the
past 24 hours.
You should notice that the data listed in the Text Window is the same as
that displayed in the Image Window.
- Type: SFCLIST KMCN 24
[Table of Contents]