2017.2 Fastrack Version
04 October 2017 McIDAS Help Desk email notification to McIDAS Site
Coordinators and the mcidas-users list:
McIDAS-X Fastrack version 2017.2 was recently
added to the McIDAS Website. The significant changes in the release
include the following:
- On Apple systems, changed support from OS X 10.10 and OS X 10.11 to OS X 10.11 and macOS 10.12.
Whether you are installing McIDAS-X for the first time on a macOS 10.12 workstation or upgrading
to 10.12 from an earlier version you must complete the Allocating Sufficient Shared Memory
instructions in the macOS Workstations section of the
Preparing the Workstation page in the
McIDAS User's Guide.
- Implemented bit-depth changes to increase the detail shown in certain visible, water vapor and
short-wave infrared imagery. See the
Expanded Stretch Feature page for more information.
- Increased the maximum frame number in McIDAS-X sessions from 999 to 9,999.
- Updated graphics commands to work on large frames.
- Updated preliminary GOES-R Series ABI server and calibration and navigation modules with
bug fixes and enhancements.
- Added preliminary server, configuration files and display and list commands for use with
GOES-16 Geostationary Lightning Mapper (GLM) data from the GOES Rebroadcast (GRB).
- Updated the USCOUNTY.MAP, USSTATE.MAP and USZONE.MAP files with the most recent National
Weather Service GIS-AWIPS Shapefile database updates.
- Updated the station database (file STNDB.CORE) to include 56 new Synoptic stations mostly
in Australia and Antarctica, and one new TAF station.
- Updated the McIDAS-XRD package (which is included in the McIDAS-X installation files) to
include two new servers (viiradir and viiraget) and one new command (FIXDEF).
McIDAS User Services issues its McIDAS-X software updates via fully-supported Fastrack
releases (including online documentation updates). This means that the software is fully
supported by SSEC, and that each change to the software has been tested on all of the
supported workstation configurations. Full system testing occurs at least once on each
platform during each calendar year.
If you have questions about this release, call the McIDAS Help Desk at (608) 262-2455,
or send email to the Help Desk.