MR Interferometer Removal
Tools and Equipment Required
- Small phillips screwdriver
- Small flathead screwdriver
- 2.5 mm metric hex driver
- 1/4″ hex driver
- The interferometer is fairly heavy, and should be lifted by two people
- Be careful in sliding out the interferometer front window from the tube in the back-end
- Be careful to not perturb the screws on the kinematic mount that optically aligns the interferometer
- Stop data collection and power off the instrument.
- Disconnect the 11 electrical connections between the MR unit and the back-end (Figs. 1, 2):
|1||Power cable||MR 28V||Milspec|
|3||Cooler diode cable||Sens2MR||Metallic screw+ground||Leave ground screw in place after removing ground wire|
|4||Sens 1MR||Plastic 5-pin|
|5||Cooler expander thermistor||CoolerT||5-pin||Disconnect at connector; leave screw and thermistor in place|
|6||Cooler expander fan cable||Cool fan||2-pin|
|7||Cooler compressor fan cable||Comp fan||2-pin|
|9||Cooler compressor thermistor||SCCTEMP||Screw lug||2.5 mm metric driver needed; leave screw in place after removing thermistor|
|10||Cooler controller cable||Cool Ctrl||20?-pin + ground||Disconnect at connector (do not remove controller); 2.5 mm metric driver needed; leave ground screw in place after removing ground wire|
|11||Front window heater and thermistor||S Window||6-pin|
- Unscrew the MR holder plate from the back-end using the three 1/4″ hex screws (Fig. 3). Note: do not touch the nuts/screws for the kinematic mount.
- Carefully remove the MR unit. Note: It helps to temporarily remove the motor controller to have better access. Note: the front window slides into a tube on the back-end; take care to slide the window out prior to lifting (Figs 4, 5).
- Inspect the front window, gasket, heather and thermistor for damage or wear and tear.
- Cover the front window aperture to protect the window.
- The three 1/4″ hex screws should stay with the AERI back-end.
Figure 1. MR electrical connections 1-8 to disconnect
Figure 2. MR electrical connections 9-11 to disconnect
Figure 3. Three socket-head cap screws holding the MR unit to the back-end
Figure 4. Removed MR unit, looking at the front window
Figure 5. Back-end with MR unit removed. Note removed motor controller.