Download McIDAS-X v. 2018.1
McIDAS software releases are distributed as a total replacement of the core system. Since May 2009 SSEC has been distributing McIDAS-X updates as fully supported Fastrack releases. This means that the software is fully supported by SSEC, and that each change to the software has been tested on all of the supported system configurations. Full system testing occurs at least once on each platform during each calendar year. Prior upgrade versions were distributed once a year, normally in late-May.
The SSEC McIDAS Help Desk provides full assistance for McIDAS software questions pertaining to the current or previous version. The Help Desk will still assist those sites that are two issues behind the current version at a reduced capability. A complete description of your MUG support is detailed in the SSEC McIDAS Users’ Group Policy Document. If you are upgrading from an older version, please see the past versions page for links to download files and other materials from past versions.
A login name and password is required to download any software. Once you’ve entered your valid login name and password, you can obtain any other McIDAS software your site is licensed to receive (e.g., McIDAS-X and McIDAS-XCD).
McIDAS-X Software & Installation for Unix
2018.1 Installation Instructions for Unix
Download (e.g., right-click and select Save) the following files to the ~mcidas directory on your McIDAS-X workstation.
- Install/uninstall script (28 KB)
- Source/data files (249 MB)
- ADDE remote server configuration script (18 KB)
See -XRD Information for more information on McIDAS-XRD.
(the compiled version of -X & -XRD is about 1.3 GB)
McIDAS-X Software & Installation for Windows
2018.1 Installation Instructions for Windows
Download (e.g., right-click and select Save) the following files to the ~mcidas directory on your Windows7 workstation.
- Install/uninstall script (20 KB)
- Source/data/binary files (217 MB)
- environment variables used by McIDAS-X (8 KB)
- template for creating a .profile file (4 KB)
(the compiled version of -X & -XRD is about 745 MB)
Note: The installation will fail if the names of the downloaded files do not exactly match those listed. If your web browser changes the names of the files during download (e.g., mcidas2018.1_win7.tar.gz becomes mcidas2018.1_win7_tar.gz), you must rename the files before installing.
What's New in McIDAS-X 2018.1
- Added new command RGBDISP for displaying RGB images in McIDAS image frames.
- Added new commands GLMDISP and GLMLIST for displaying and listing lightning data from GOES-R Series GLM.
- Added new satellite and band combinations that use the Expanded Stretch Feature, aka MCSTRETCH. For more information, see the Expanded Stretch Feature page)
- Updated the GOES-R Series ABI servers and calibration modules to support GOES-17 to -19, and to update the GOES-16 nominal subpoint.
- Updated the MSG servers to carry along new georeferencing flag in MSG L1.5 data that was implemented 06 Dec 2017.
See 2018.1 Significant Changes to see a more complete listing of the significant changes, or see the 2018.1 Software Changes text file to see a list of all of the code changes included in the release.
If you are upgrading from an older version, please see the past versions page for links to download files and other materials from past versions.
Tested & Supported OS Versions
macOS 10.12.6 Intel w/ gcc & gfortran 7.1
OS X 10.11.6 Intel w/ gcc & gfortran 5.3
XQuartz X server
Windows 7 Enterprise
with Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications (SUA) and SUA Community Complete Toolset
Red Hat –
Enterprise Linux 7.4 Intel w/ gcc & gfortran 4.8.5
Enterprise Linux6.9 Intel w/ gcc & gfortran 4.4.7
Complete System Requirements
[macOS & Linux] [Windows]