McIDAS-V runs on any platform that fully supports Java and Java 3D. Installers are available for Linux, macOS, and Windows, and McIDAS-V is tested and supported on all of these platforms. Other operating systems support the requirements in certain configurations, but have not been tested.
Jar files and source code are available for software developers, but should only be used by experienced Java programmers. The scripting and formula capabilities within McIDAS-V will be sufficient for most McIDAS-V users.
The current version of McIDAS-V is version 1.9 – in order to run McIDAS-V, there are certain minimum system requirements, as well as recommended configurations. If you are purchasing a new system for McIDAS-V, a 64 bit operating system with NVIDIA graphics card hardware and drivers is recommended. Performance will be better with faster processors and more memory. Please see the Complete System Requirements below for a list of all requirements and recommendations.
McIDAS -V Installers
What's New in McIDAS-V Version 1.9
- Improved layer label font rendering
- Added RGB/channel combination functions and formulas for various instruments
- Added support for VIIRS EDR imagery data
- Updated local servers on macOS and Linux
- Added a new VIIRS ADDE server on macOS and Linux
- Added mp4 as an output format for movies
- McIDAS-V is now signed and notarized
- Red Hat Linux, macOS, Windows
- Graphics Cards must support OpenGL and use the latest video drivers
- Minimum 500 MHz processor and 512 MB memory free
- At least 2 GHz processor and 4 GB memory
- NVIDIA graphics card hardware and drivers; display configuration set to maximum number of colors
- 64 bit operating system
(Java on a 32 bit OS can only utilize 1536 MB, while 64 bit Java on a 64 bit OS can utilize all of the available memory, allowing more data to be loaded and visualized with McIDAS-V.)
The McIDAS-V development effort has been greatly assisted by the following companies generously providing open source licenses for their products:
- install4j, the multi-platform installer builder from ej-technologies GmbH.
- YourKit is kindly supporting open source projects with its full-featured Java Profiler. YourKit, LLC is the creator of innovative and intelligent tools for profiling Java and .NET applications. Take a look at YourKit’s leading software products: YourKit Java Profiler and YourKit .NET Profiler.