CSPP Atmospheric Retrieval Software Package Release
Two new software releases are now available as part of the Community Satellite Processing Package (CSPP):
- CSPP SDR v1.3 for Suomi NPP VIIRS, CrIS, and ATMS,
- CSPP EDR v1.0 Cloud Mask and Active Fires for Suomi NPP VIIRS.
CSPP supports the Direct Broadcast (DB) meteorological and environmental satellite community through the packaging and distribution of open source science software. CSPP supports DB users of both polar orbiting and geostationary satellite data processing and regional real-time applications through distribution of free open source software, and through training in local product applications.
Cloud top pressures retrieved from Direct Broadcast CrIS radiances on 28 November 2012, 06:46 to 08:33 UTC.
These CSPP releases enable Suomi NPP direct broadcast users to create VIIRS, CrIS, and ATMS SDR products and VIIRS Cloud Mask and Active Fires products. The algorithms in this release correspond to the Mx6.5 versions running currently in the NOAA IDPS.
Note: The VIIRS Cloud Mask and Active Fires algorithms included in this release are designed to work with CSPP VIIRS SDR v1.3. They are *not* designed to work with earlier versions of the VIIRS SDR algorithm (e.g., CSPP VIIRS SDR v1.2).
New features in CSPP SDR v1.3 include:
- SDR algorithm matches the version running in NOAA IDPS operations (Mx6.5),
- VIIRS SDR now uses predictive solar calibration for M-bands, I-bands, and Day/Night band,
- VIIRS calibration LUT updates are now available weekly,
- New directory structure starting with SDR_1_3 as the top level,
- Internal ADL version updated to ADL v4.1,
- New ancillary data logic allows disabling of ancillary data downloads at runtime.
Features of CSPP EDR v1.0 include:
- The VIIRS Cloud Mask and Active Fires algorithms match the versions running in NOAA IDPS operations (Mx 6.5),
- All required ancillary datasets are determined and downloaded automatically,
- Designed to work together with CSPP SDR v1.3, or independently using VIIRS SDR files from NOAA CLASS.
System requirements for the CSPP VIIRS SDR and EDR software are as follows:
- Intel or AMD CPU with 64-bit instruction support,
- 16 GB RAM (minimum),
- CentOS 5.5 64-bit Linux (or other compatible 64-bit Linux distribution),
- 100 GB disk space (minimum),
- Internet connection (for downloading dynamic ancillary data).
SSEC/CIMSS has a long history of supporting the direct broadcast community, from creating the early International TOVS Processing Package (ITPP, later the IAPP or International ATOVS Processing Package), to the International MODIS/AIRS Processing Package (IMAPP), and now the CSPP. SSEC/CIMSS scientists have also organized direct broadcast seminars around the world to teach others about the software and its applications.
The software, documentation, and test data for CSPP SDR v1.3 and EDR v1.0 are now available for download at the CSPP website.